Thursday 5 May 2011

T/N GUGLIELMO MARCONI 35 YEARS AGO



It was back in 1976 that as a 18 year old boy I embarked on the GUGLIELMO MARCONI for a two weeks voyage. I was working for a company in Lisbon that was the agent for ITALIAN LINE so for nearly two years I was going on board this beautiful ship on monthly basis, she joined the CRISTOFORO COLOMBO in 1976 on the Europe to Argentina route, this voyage would start, for the MARCONI at Naples then Genoa/Cannes/Barcelona/Lisbon/Rio Janeiro/Santos and Montevideo before last port of call Buenos Aires, but this time was different I was not embarking passengers and baggage, I was actually also going for a sea voyage on the ship, against the will of some of my family members, I was too young to go to sea, it was back in May 1976, this trip stays with me until this day as the most remarkable sea adventure I have ever done because I knew a lot of crew members aboard, my time was spent at the bridge, engine room or other parts of the ship normally closed to the general public, I can still hear her whistle, smell her smoke, hear the gentle whispering of her turbines, still today everytime I think of this ship my heart skips a bit, she was a proper ocean liner, sleek, beautiful, fast, cosy and modern and that funnel and mast were something difficult to match, even today she looks modern and the ship was built in 1963, very excited to bring these images back to life all those years ago and I sware the bloke on the pictures it`s really me

No comments:

Post a Comment