Monday 3 June 2013

Maritime Portsmouth, the "WATERFRONT CITY", the day "ARK ROYAL" left her Home Port forever













20.5.2013 was for me another date to catch a Cruise Ferry that would take me for another business trip, my sailing would be on BRETAGNE with departure scheduled for Saint-Malo at 20.15, I was at Portsmouth for about 3pm, when approaching the Waterfront City I was listening to WAVE 105, was surprised to hear that earlier on this same day, former Royal Navy flagship "ARK ROYAL" left the city for good on her way to Turkey and the scrap yard, at first I was disappointed a couple of hours earlier and I would have been able to see the ship for the last time, but now I don't regret it at all, I keep very good memories of the ship when she was in commission, sentiments apart, photos above were taken on the day the ship left her home port forever, top image, the ship showing her splendour back on the 3.2.2011

2 comments:

  1. Sad to see all those Royal Navy ships being discarded at such an early stage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment L.M.C., it truly is.

      Delete